Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Is it January 20th yet?

I am sick. My head is a gigantic booger balloon. My ears feel like they are filled with cotton, my sinuses are filled to the brim with mucus, and I feel like ass. So of course that means I had to do something important today. I had a job interview. An interview for a job I'd actually really, really like. It's working as an Executive Assistant (sounds boring, but wait!) for a local non-profit which provides a variety of social and community service to minority and immigrant children. Check out their site!

Tiffany really wants to work here!

The woman who "interviewed" me was really quite inspiring. She exuded so much passion and while I didn't really say much (it was more of a conversation than interview), I could definitely see myself working there. My interviewer asked me two questions. What are your aspirations and can you speak Spanish? I have been asked the former of these two questions before. It's one of my least favorite interview questions in the history of interview questions. I also really hate, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" Shit if I know! Oh and, "Why do you think you'd be good at this job?" I always answer as honestly as I can, but it doesn't always benefit me to do as much. I've interviewed for jobs I knew I would have been phenomenal for, but for reasons which are sometimes not explained to me, have not been given the jobs. I have even contacted the interviewing parties to inquire as to what, in particular, excluded me from consideration. I have yet to receive a useful answer. Something other than, "We just found someone more suited to our needs." Blah!

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. I am supposed to receive a call tomorrow or Thursday inviting me for a follow-up, or telling me to go screw myself. I am almost positive I'll get a second interview. I'd have to meet with the two directors I'd be supporting. I wish I could say I was nervous. I'm not. I'll just walk in like I own the place, give them what I've got, and let the chips fall where they may. What choice do I have?

Oh, I also have two meetings with two state reps at the Capitol for volunteer work. And Thursday I meet with the volunteer coordinator at the LBJ Presidential Library.

Trying to keep me busy folks.

I am now going to go lock myself up the bathroom and hope that the steam from the hot shower can loosen some of this crud in my nose.

Lastly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JENNA!!!!! I love you.

2 comments:

AK said...

If I prayed, I would pray for you to get this job. I will hopehopehope and perhaps that will be enough. I believe in you!! (Sorry, cheesy).

AfroBurrito said...

I don't pray either. Your sentiments are more valuable to me than any prayer. Thank you.

I have a second interview tomorrow.

Hopefully I will feel less like ass so that I can make a somewhat decent impression.

I'll keep you posted.

Swipe Right/Left/Up/Down and All Around...

A little over a week ago I signed up for an OK Cupid account. That was a mistake. Being unemployed I couldn't afford the “u...