Monday, April 20, 2009

You know it's bad when . . .

. . . the most exciting thing that happens to you is the arrival of your newest magazine subscription. I happen to share a name with some other woman who also lives in this shitty town. Poor bitch. Anyway, other than her offers for life insurance, MedicAlert jewlery, and those scooters for people with disabilities, from time to time I get her magazine offers. To date I have received offers for "professional" rates for four publications I thoroughly enjoy. The advantage to this is that "professional" rates are usually like one-third the usual subscription rate! Shit yeah!!! My limited funds has only permitted that I avail myself of three of them. Today's treat was the arrival of my first issue of The New Yorker. Color me snobby! (If you're interested, the other two magazines I 'snagged' courtesy of the other TMC are Harper's and The New York Review of Books. I just recently received an offer for the Atlantic Monthly, but have had to hold off . . . for now.) Why am I typing any of this?

Let's see, any other excitement? Um no . . . but it is payday this Wednesday and that means somewhere in this crusty town there will be a big pitcher of IPA with my name on it!

3 comments:

SeND said...

I LOVE the New Yorker. Fuck snobbishness. It's a false label for the pleasure of that publication. I have my aunt and uncle save their discarded copies so I can get my fix of the Big City. Enjoy your surreptitious privilege.

Miss you.

SeND said...

P.S. They also produce some really cool podcasts. iTunes, baby.

AK said...

I get really excited when I receive a new Netflix in the mail. It's kinda lame, but whatever!